Thursday 1 May 2014

Evaluation - Question 6

Question 6 What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

From the process of constructing my product I have been able to continue my knowledge of skills that I have learnt previously last year and have also been able to use them skills to better my product and so the process has been even more valuable as I have seen my work transform from a grade C and hopefully to something better and in the process, I have been able to self access my work so that I can better the product.
Last year I mentioned several technologies that I had used through the process of constructing my product, the first being Photoshop; this is a useful software as this allows you to create a wide range of different products depending on what you need, as I mentioned I have continued to develop my skill and this I have learnt the ruler tool to a valuable tool when needing accurate readings as previously I have either used my own judgement, held a ruler up against the machine or have printed it off and then guessed as to how much it needed moving. By learning about this new tool I was able to have clean lines on my work and the impact of this is that the images looked more professional rather than images on one point and then text alongside the image would be half a point above or below or even if the article on the double page spread, if they didn't line up right or the edges of each column were not precise and because of this new tool I am now able to say that everything on my product has been checked with a ruler.

Again I have used the Move tool to arrange different things like the text and the images around so that I could have the different parts of the magazine in the place I wanted them not the place I have just dragged them into. Also with this tool you can then select the item you want and then use another tool, Transform tool (CMD+T) to make the item bigger or smaller and the impact of this tool is high also as the difference between a good looking magazine and a amazing looking magazine is the difference and the reason for this is because if something is too big the layout will look cluttered and thought through and on the other side of the spectrum if something is too small there would be too much blank space again making the layout of the magazine unsuccessful.

Whilst making the product I have changed the colouring of my magazine and so have needed to use the colour well to change the colours and the advantage to this colour well is that you can keep 2 colours locked, black and white and then you are free to choose 2 more colours. By having these two colours available, I was then able to move from product to product changing the colours of product for example the double page spread last year was mainly red and this year I started of white a gradient of black and white, unfortunately the image didn't match effectively enough for it to work successfully and so decided to use the background of the image for the use within the double page spread, I used the colour well to lighten it slightly as when put onto a big surface area it looked too dark and so needed lightened. As I had used this colour for the double page spread, different from any other page on my product as this was the special article and it is conventional on magazine to use different colours on the double page spread to the rest of the magazine for this page, however I didn't want to just have this colour used on my double page spread as I wanted there to be some consistency  throughout and so decided to use the colour used in the double page spread and put it onto my front cover, unfortunately the colour was again too dark and so had to lighten the colour. I used the colour for the extra information that came with the sell-lines on the front page. Looking back I can see that this tool allowed me to have freedom of choice when it came to choosing the correct colour.

I have also grown to use the zoom tool, as I have found when trying to get something precise for example lining up articles and images it can be hard to see if they fit perfectly and so used the zoom tool to get in close to the items on screen and once finished that certain part I would then use the tool to scroll out to see what this effect had on the rest of the product.



The second technology I used is Blogger, this is an invaluable tool as this allows you to post several things not only words, but also images, videos and links and this helps you to clarify your words and also as well as this by posting your work publicly it allows you to receive advice from strangers as well as peers for advice and guidance.

One part of using Blogger that I have used this year, which I never used last year was the Upload from Blogger as this allowed me to quickly find images  I have previously uploaded onto my Blog this then allow me to re-use them in another Blog post and an example of where this came in really handy was when I needed to reflect on my work from last year as I could place this years work along side last years and I could then make a judgement of what needed changing.

I have continued to use the text tools that are available to Blogger because when writing a blog post it can be really easy fr the words just to fall together whereas if you use headings in the middle of the blog you can then section parts of the blog up, making the impact of the blog easier to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment